Goals Goals Goals!!!
So I wrote a post in February listing up all my reading goals. I thought it was about time for me to check in and see how I’m doing.
READING GOALS 2018:
Complete BookRiot’s ReadHarder Challange 2018
Read 60 books
Read more than 18,000 pages (not including audiobooks)
Finish more series
Lets look at each of those four in detail.
I wrote a separate plan about my ReadHarder challenge which you can find here. I am eventually trying to read a different book for each task but I’ll list all the books which go to that specific task on the list below and separate them at the end of the year.
The tasks and my progress is as follows:
- A book published posthumously – Planned – Northanger Abby by Jane Austin
- A book of true crime – Currently Reading – In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- A classic of genre fiction (i.e. mystery, sci-fi/fantasy, romance) – Read – The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- A comic written and drawn by the same person – Planned – The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
- A book set in or about one of the five BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, or South Africa) – Planned – Archangel by Robert Harris
- A book about nature – ?
- A western – Read – The Gunslinger by Stephen King
- A comic written or drawn by a person of colour – Read – Monsteress written by Marjorie M Liu, illustrated by Sana Takeda
- A book of colonial or postcolonial literature – Read – Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
- A romance novel by or about a person of colour – Planned – When Dimple Meet Rishi by Sandhya Menon
- A children’s classic published before 1980 – Read – The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting
- A celebrity memoir – Read x 2 – The Autobiography of Gucci Mane by Gucci Mane, So Anyway by John Cleese.
- An Oprah Book Club selection – Planned – Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- A book of social science – ?
- A one-sitting book – Read – Beastly Brains by
- The first book in a new-to-you YA or middle-grade series – Read x 14 – La Belle Sauvage by Phillip Pullman, his Majesty’s Dragon by Naomi Novik, City of Brass by S. A. Chakraborty, Caravel by Stephanie Garber, Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, The Cruel Prince by Holly Black, The Iron King by Julie Kagawa, Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner, Tithe by Holly Black, Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor, Queendom of the Seven Lakes by A B Endacott, Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Ayedemi, Runebinder by Alex R Kahler, The Novice by taran Matharu.
- A sci-fi novel with a female protagonist by a female author – Read – An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon
- A comic that isn’t published by Marvel, DC, or Image – ?
- A book of genre fiction in translation – Read x 2 – The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, Hunger by Knut Hamsun.
- A book with a cover you hate – ?
- A mystery by a person of colour or LGBTQ+ author – Planned – Inspector Singh Investigates; A Deadly Cambodian Crime Spree by Shamini Flint
- An essay anthology – Planned – Selfish, shallow and Self-absorbed; Sixteen Writers On The Decision To Not Have Kids edited by Megan Daum
- A book with a female protagonist over the age of 60 – Read – The Body In The Library (Miss Marple) by Agatha Christi
- An assigned book you hated (or never finished) – Read – Hunger by Knut Hamsun
Overall, I’ve completed 13 of 24 which means I’m over halfway! yay!
Read 60 Books
My earlier statement:This is my GoodReads goal for 2018. Normally, I read around 30-45 books a year depending on their lengths, so 60 books is a challenge for me.
I’m not sure how this happened…
I have already read more books in the first 6 months of this year that I did in the whole of 2017 or 2016 😳
Anyway, I’m not complaining, far from it, this is great! 😁 Im just not sure how it happened 🧐
I will not increase the goal as I feel that would be cheating. I will continue to read and see how many books I read by the end of the year. Maybe I can read 100 books? 🤔
Read More Than 18,000 Pages
This goal is meant to work against the GoodReads goal of 60 books if I were to only pick up smaller books and make sure is still pick up those lovely big books. Because I love big books and I can not lie.
I’ve got somewhat to go one here, but I don’t think reaching this goal will be too difficult.
Finish More Series
My earlier statement: I have a tendency to pick up the first book in a series, loving it, but instead of picking up book two I move on to the next series. Let’s just say I read around a lot, and this has to stop. I want to finish several series that I have started including the Ixia Chronicles by Maria V Snyder, A Darker Shade of Magic by V E Schwabb and The Vagrant by Peter Newman, to name a few. This year I will finish some of the series I started last year, also when I start a series this year I will finish it, or be up to date.
I haven’t really managed this yet…
The only books I have managed to continue with on from last year is Ixia chronicles by Maria V Snyder, Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard and Traitor to the Throne by Alwyn Hamilton. War Storm is the last instalment to the Red Queen series so I did manage to finish one series, but I started it on 2016, not 2017.
I have on the other hand started a few new series. As stated earlier: I have a tendency to pick up the first book in a series, loving it, but instead of picking up book two I move on to the next series. – I have a problem
New series I have started and plan to continue with:
New series I started but won’t continue with:
New series I started and finished (yay me!) this year:
On a positive note, I have bought the last two book in the Darker Shade of Magic series and should be able to finish the series this year. Should…
There is nothing like reviewing your goals to put your back on track. Fire Study/A Gathering of Shadow here I come!!
That’s my 6-month update for my reading goals for 2018. How are yours going?
Until next time… Happy Reading